C N S News Scroll

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Hank Yanks Back

I pointed out on Monday, ESPN pulled the Hank Williams Jr. song All My Rowdy Friends from it’s intro to Monday Night Football over comments Williams made on Fox And Friends and that the sports network was well within it’s rights to yank Hank.

Well now comes word from the Hank Jr. camp that that he would be pulling the rights to use the song from the networks broadcasts. “After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision,” he wrote. “By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE. It’s been a great run.”

As an artist who retains the rights to his product, in this case his song, Williams has the right to choose who he wants to do business with. If Hank Jr. does like ESPNs response to his comment, then he has every right to tell ESPN to stick where the sun don’t shine. Freedom is a wonderful thing!

No comments: